Khajuraho Travel Guide – Khajuraho Tourism and Tourist Places
Khajuraho mainly attracts the tourists for its group of temples. In the Chhatarpur district of Madhya Pradesh, Khajuraho is located. It is well known for its temples and sculptures. The monuments of Khajuraho are now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It shows exceptions artwork and craftsmanship. Usually the main points of attractions of Khajuraho are the temples. The Khajuraho temples follow the shikhara style. In these temples the main deity is placed on a sanctum in the centre of the temple. Originally it was believed that there were 80 Hindu temples out of which only 22 remain.
We can reach to Khajuraho from all parts of the country by road, rail and air. From Delhi, its location is about 600 kilometers. The nearest airport is Jhansi where many airlines fly at extremely cheap rates. The main mode of transport which connects Khajuraho to the remotest corners of India is the train.
Some of the important tourist attractions in Khajuraho include
Western Group of Temples: These are the largest and the richest of all temple groups.
1. LakhmanaTemple – It is the oldest and finest of the western group of temples. This temple is named after the ruler who built it.
2. Kandariya MahadeoTemple – They are among the greatest masterpieces of Indian art.
3. Devi JagdambaTemple – This temple is dedicated to the Goddess (devi). The Garbha griha has a huge image of the Devi of the Universe who is also known as Jagdambi.
4. Chaunsat Yogini – It is the only granite temple in the Khajuraho group.
5. ChitraguptaTemple – This temple is dedicated to the Sun God (Surya) and it faces eastward to the rising sun.
Eastern Group of Temples
1. ParsvanathTemple – It is famous for exquisite carvings in detail and it is largest among the group.
2. GhantaiTemple – It is a famous jain temple.
3. AdinathTemple – It is dedicated to jain saint, adinath.
4. BrahmaTemple – It is one of the oldest temples of Khajuraho.
Southern Group of Temples
1. DulhadevTemple – It lies to the south of Ghantai temple and it is the last temple of Khajuraho.
2. BeejamandalTemple – It is near the Chattarbhuj temple as well as a ruined temple.
3. ChattarbhujTemple or The JatkariTemple – This temple is built in 1100A.D. This is well known for its architecture. This temple is facing west and has to take 10 steps to reach the sanctum.
The other attractions are Khajuraho Dance Festival and Light and Sound Show at Western group of temples.